Personal Build Log #1, A newbie's Perspective

I have been planning to build my 1st PC for ages. I have been looking at PC parts, YouTube videos, Build Logs for God knows how long. But I think it is finally time to do it! The moment I have been waiting is finally here!
In the 1st part of my build log I will talk about why I decided to build a PC, switching from a console, the difficulties I faced during the selection of my parts and my budget.

THE REASON WHY I AM BUILDING A PC

First of, let's talk about the reason. Most people prefer to just buy a console and play there. For me, that won't just cut it anymore. Everything started back, when I saw for the first time Steam Sales. They were ridiculous. I got Batman Arkham City Game Of The Year edition for like 5 euros; if I had gotten the same game on the PS3, it would have costed me 20-30 euro. This is insane, I said to myself.

And then I tried to play the game. My PC then, which is still my current PC, was pretty decent, for its time. With 8GBs of DDR2 RAM, a Radeon HD 5450 and an Intel Core Quad Processor, I was able to play the game on low to medium settings with decent frame rates.

However I wasn't satisfied. I want to play most games on Ultra settings with 60 fps, at least and so my journey started. I started looking for parts, looking for the best bang for the buck for what I wanted. But my dream was crushed by the prices in Greece and so, with nothing to do about the high cost and me not having almost no money, I stopped.

Fortunately almost one year later, which brings us today, I have saved up money and I am moving to Germany, where the prices for PC parts are way lower than Greece. So I started looking again.

CPU

The processor was a piece of cake. Since I want to do some overclocking I went with an Intel Core i5 4690k, nothing to fancy, but for gaming and some programming and video editing here and there, it's perfect. It has good reviews all over the Internet and from what I know, you can't really go wrong with Intel.

MOTHERBOARD

Next up was the Motherboard. Now here was the first time I was not sure what to get. The fact that I had already chosen a processor helped, but not that much. There a gadzillion units to choose from. High-end, Low-end, with different USB ports, with more fancy heat-syncs and light-strips or without. I mean, it's really difficult for a newbie to choose. Thankfully, I narrowed it down to the MSi Z97A Gaming 7 or the ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97. The decision was hard, since my current MoBo is from ASUS and I really like it. After days of researching and thanks to some good guys on tomshardware.com, I decided to go with Asus, because I read that they use higher quality components, I have been using one of their MoBos for quite a while and I like the overall aesthetics. I know that the Gaming 7 Motherboard has more PCIe 3.0 slots, but ultimately, I don't think I will be doing 2-Way SLI and if I do, I will probably have enough money to buy a new MoBo. Plus the ASUS one is cheaper.

Now, I don't want this to be too long and hard to read so I will do the rest in another part sometime soon. Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment