Wiko Highway REVIEW (Just don't buy it)

Recently I got a Wiko Highway and switched from my beloved Samsung Galaxy SIII (aw some phone!). The switch was quite easy, since they support the same type of SIM. However the experience to follow, was not enjoya
At first the phone seemed unbelievably fast, compared to the SIII. 2 GBs of RAM and an 8-core processor do make a difference (duh!). When first booting up the phone I got the traditional android welcome screen and procedure, not something notable there. Then getting into the home screen of the smartphone, I struck by how beautiful the phone looked. The amazing wallpaper, the decent screen and overall the aesthetics of the phone, were beyond my expectations.
ble, at all.

The design of the Highway resembles a lot the iPhone's design, but not in a bad way, It is well-built, with a glassy back-finish, which in my opinion could be easily breakable (same as the old iPhones).
It has a 3.5mm head-phone jack on the top, a volume-rocker and aq power-button on the right, two SIM-slots, one on each side and a micro-USB port on the bottom. Pretty much what you would expect.

And now the bad stuff comes. The OS (4.2.2) it runs, is slow, to the least. It kept crashing, especially when I was charging it. The screen would turn off and the only solution was to reboot it. It would accept and make calls on its own, making it really awkward when people told me that I was calling them like at 12 midnight without me remembering.

Then I had to go out for a run. After waiting for 10-15 minutes just to get a GPS-lock, the app would indicate that I was running at 150 miles/hour. Not even when I downloaded a GPS-Toolkit, did it get fixed. The lock-times were a bit shorter but the wrong monitoring of my speed was not any better. I mean there is a huge bug that has not been addressed, unless I am the Flash.

Furthermore, the camera is quite bad. I couldn't record 1080 videos and the photos were all shaky and not the best quality I have seen. However the front-facing camera is really good. With a 8 MP lens, you can take all the selfies you want, without having to worry about quality.

On the other side the phone did have some features that I enjoyed. Being able to program my smartphone to switch off at certain times, which comes really handy, especially when you have meetings or school. In addition, due to the RAM and the CPU I was able to play some pretty demanding games.

I could go on and on about this phone, about how I liked it but at the same time hated. To conclude, the Wiko Highway is an overall decent phone. Without having too many expectations, like wanting to use as a run companion, anybody should have a good time with it. Maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment